This policy applies to any person on University property, on the worksite, in University vehicles, or in personal vehicles when on University property at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL).
Possession of dangerous weapons - concealed or unconcealed - on University property, on the worksite, in University vehicles, or in personal vehicles when on University property shall be a violation of UNL policy. A dangerous weapon shall include firearms, knives, explosives, or any other item defined by statute or as determined by the University, which in the manner used or intended is capable of producing death, serious bodily injury, or harm to property. Violation of this policy shall make the offender subject to appropriate disciplinary or legal action.
In order to maintain and protect the health and safety of UNL property or persons on UNL property, persons who are neither UNL employees nor students who are found to be in possession of a dangerous weapon on UNL property may be subject to immediate seizure of the weapon by the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Police Department (UNLPD) and removal from campus. Seized property not held as evidence in an investigation will be returned to the person upon exiting UNL property.
Students, faculty, and staff have access to weapon storage located in the University Police Department while on-campus.
This policy shall not apply to:
- students, faculty and staff when in direct transport of dangerous weapons between off-campus and weapons storage at University Police; and
- members of athletic teams or recognized student organizations in good standing who train and use firearms as a part of their competition in the University's rifle range, or in direct transport between firearms training facilities and authorized weapons storage facilities;
- authorized UNLPD personnel;
- law enforcement officers and security personnel working directly with UNLPD and acting in their official capacity for purposes of carrying out work responsibilities;
- persons authorized by the facility administrator for IANR units to use and store dangerous weapons consistent with the Weapons/Hunting Policy of IANR as it applies to IANR research sites located outside the city limits of Lincoln, Nebraska.
Reason for Policy
This policy is intended to maintain and protect the health and safety of UNL property or persons on UNL property.
UNLPD provides free storage for weapons. These lockers are provided to prevent the storage of weapons in residence hall rooms, academic buildings or vehicles. Storing weapons in a secure manner at UNLPD provides a safer campus environment.
Those wishing to utilize a locker will be asked to complete a Weapons Storage form. UNLPD maintains the keys for weapons storage lockers and confirms the owner’s identity prior to requests by the owner to retrieve a personally owned weapon.
Personally owned weapons stored at UNLPD may be checked out by the owner 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Those wishing to view the lockers before storing weapons may visit UNLPD to assess storage needs. UNLPD office and storage are located in the 17th and "R" Street parking garage (300 N 17th Street).
UNL PD - Emergencies
- This policy was reformatted in 2021. Edits made at that time included minor grammatical updates and clarification around weapons storage procedures.