Last Revised: Thursday, February 4, 2021
Responsible University Administrator: Vice Chancellor, Business & Finance
Responsible University Office: Campus Planning & Environment
Policy Contact: Emily Deeker
This policy applies to all property owned and operated by the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL).
Campus Identity Banners
Campus Identity Banners are those which are affixed from the light poles on property owned and operated by UNL and are managed by University Communication. Certain campus identity banners are customized to identify a location of interest for visitors. Any proposed modifications to these banners must be approved by University Communication and the Aesthetic Review Committee (ARC). Facilities Maintenance and Operations is responsible for the removal and installation of all campus identity banners in coordination with University Communication.
Temporary Banners are those which are temporarily affixed to certain buildings on campus. Permission to hang a temporary banner on an approved building must be granted through ARC. ARC has meetings set the first and third Thursday of most months, 1:30 p.m.- 3:00 p.m. at 1901 Y Street. The following buildings' occupants may seek preapproval of temporary banners on an annual basis:
- Lied Center
- Kimball Hall
- Sheldon Museum of Art
- Temple Building
- Morrill Hall
- International Quilt Museum
- Student Unions
- Campus Recreation
Temporary Banner Requirements:
- Only permitted to raise awareness for special exhibits, performances, and events
- Locations of installation are preferred at framed openings, archways, between pillars or under the soffits of buildings.
- The time period must be limited and approved by ARC.
- Must have a professional appearance and be of quality construction.
- Must be anchored to the building per Facilities Maintenance and Operations/Building Systems Maintenance’s approval and specification for each building.
- Must be installed and removed by professional contractors or Building Systems Maintenance staff.
Reason for Policy
This policy is created to help govern the usage of banners on property owned and operated by UNL.
For information on obtaining ARC approval of temporary banners, contact Emily Deeker (firstname.lastname@example.org, 402-472-4795). The following must be addressed in any request:
- Time Period
ARC will pre-approve other temporary banners at its discretion. Unapproved temporary banners will be removed at the expense of those responsible.
For information on how temporary banners can be attached to specific buildings, contact the Facilities Maintenance and Operations department (402-472-3131).
- This policy was reformatted in 2020. Minor grammatical updates were made along with the merging of the Temporary Banner Policy into this Banner Policy.