Effective: Tuesday, July 21, 2020
Last Revised: Tuesday, July 21, 2020
Responsible University Administrator: Vice Chancellor, Business & Finance
Responsible University Office: Business & Finance
Policy Contact: Carrie Jackson
This policy applies to any Recognized Student Organizations (RSO) or other recognized groups or departments wanting to have a Car Smash as part of an event on the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL) campus or sponsored by UNL.
The following requirements apply for any Car Smash on the UNL campus or sponsored by UNL:
- All glass, liquids, and fuel tanks must be removed from the vehicle
- The vehicle must be on a large tarp that is at least 4 feet larger than the vehicle on all sides
- There must be free standing fencing or barrier around the vehicle which comes out at least six feet from the vehicle
- Only one person at a time may participate
- Participants are required to
- Sign a Waiver (approved by the Office of Benefits & Risk Management)
- Wear Safety Goggles (full surround)
- Wear Gloves
- Wear Closed Toed Shoes
- Always remain on the ground (cannot stand on the vehicle or anything else at any time)
- Only use a sledgehammer or mallet
- No Minors (18 and under) can participate (even with a waiver signed by a parent/guardian)
- Group must be able to sanitize the safety goggles, gloves and sledgehammer/mallet between each participant
- The vehicle can be delivered no more then two hours prior to the event and needs to be removed no more than two hours after the event
Reason for Policy
To ensure the safety and well-being of all participants and spectators for any Car Smash event on the UNL campus or sponsored by UNL.
Recognized Student Organizations (RSO) will be required to complete an Event Planning Registration (EPR) form. Through this form, the Nebraska Unions Reservations Office, UNL Risk Management, UNL Police, and Student Involvement approval will be required. Once logged into NvolveU 2.0, go to your RSO page, click on EVENT and click on CREATE EVENT.
Office of Benefits, Retirement, & Risk Management - Questions
- This policy was created in July 2020.