Effective: Monday, January 1, 2018
Last Revised: Monday, January 1, 2018
Responsible University Administrator: Vice Chancellor, Business & Finance
Responsible University Office: Business & Finance
Policy Contact: Office of the Vice Chancellor for Business & Finance
This policy applies to all University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL) faculty, staff, students, and visitors.
University of Nebraska (NU) Central Administration and UNL are tobacco-free and smoke-free campuses. NU and UNL prohibit smoking and the use of tobacco products in and on all University Property.
Responsibility for complying with the policy rests with the individual. If someone is observed in violation of the policy, they will be asked to dispose of the tobacco product. If they refuse, faculty may be referred to Academic Affairs, students to Student Affairs, staff to Human Resources, and visitors may be escorted off campus.
The following activities may receive an exception to this policy:
- Smoking or use of Tobacco Products for ceremonial or theatrical performance purposes at UNL may be permitted with advance approval from the Vice Chancellor for Business and Finance.
- Smoking or use of Tobacco Products may be permitted for a medical, scientific, or research program provided that such Smoking or use of Tobacco Products is an integral part of such program and the appropriate University research oversight body has approved the inclusion of Smoking or use of Tobacco Products. In such circumstances, the approved program use shall restrict use to the amount reasonably warranted for medical, scientific or research purposes, include reasonable measures to protect the UNL community from adverse health effects of such use, and require the safe and appropriate disposal of any remaining used or unused Tobacco Products.
- Other reasonable exceptions as determined by the Vice Chancellor for Business and Finance and approved by the Chancellor.
The University reserves the right to modify, amend, or terminate this policy, in part or in whole, at any time.
Reason for Policy
To provide a healthy environment that promotes the wellness and safety of students, faculty, staff and visitors.
Smoking: Smoking means inhaling, exhaling, burning, or carrying any lighted or heated tobacco, plant (including marijuana) or synthetic products.
Tobacco Products: Tobacco products includes all forms of tobacco, including but not limited to, cigarettes, cigars, pipes, water pipes (hookah), electronic cigarettes and similar devices, and smokeless tobacco products. It also includes any product intended to mimic tobacco products, contain tobacco flavoring or deliver nicotine. FDA approved nicotine replacement therapy products, when used for the purpose of cessation, are not considered “Tobacco Products” under this policy.
University Property: University property means all buildings, structures, grounds, parking structures, parking lots, and vehicles (on or off campus) owned, leased, occupied, operated, maintained or otherwise controlled by the University.
University Health Center - Student Counseling
Employee Assistance Program - Employee Counseling
- Tobacco Free 2018 Initiative FAQs
- University Health Center
- Employee Assistance Program
- Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services
- American Lung Association
- American Cancer Society
- This policy was reformatted in 2020. No content edits were made.